Useful Foot Care Information
FOOTCARE FOR DIABETICS
- Make foot-care a part of your DAILY routine, just like managing your blood glucose and diet.
- Examine your feet daily, looking for any damage to the skin, injuries or changes that give cause for concern, if you discover a problem contact a Foot health Practitioner, addressing the problem early on can prevent further complications later on.
- If you struggle to check your own feet consider using a mirror to check or alternatively ask someone to check them daily for you, it is NOT recommended that you allow anybody other than a professional to cut your nails for you due to the risk of causing an injury which as a diabetic can make you susceptible to infection.
- Ensure that footwear is well maintained and that there are no areas such as stitching or labels which rub against the foot causing damage to the skin.
- Make sure feet are kept clean by washing daily and gently drying, ensure socks or tights are changed daily and as with shoes ensure they are not rubbing the skin.
- Keeping feet clean and well cared for is the key to stopping any potential problems developing.
- For further information and advice the website www.diabetes.org.uk contains lots more useful facts on caring for your feet as a diabetic.